The Best of 2017
The consensus is that 2017 was a wild one. I looked back to see which topics anchored my attention in the past 12 months, and which technologies, events, and conversations were both attention-worthy and will very likely continue to shape the things to come.
- Continued conversation on how to build a successful brand and business
Four pillars of the modern brand identity
Brands are products of their media. Jingles and slogans were all the rage at the time of radio. Print prioritized…
Fashion’s Business Transformation Gameplan
Unless a company is Rebecca Minkoff, Reformation or Goop chances are that it has been frustratingly slow in using…
Why retail labs are toast
Back in 2014, retail labs were all the rage. It was hard to look around and find a retailer without a lab. New York…
2. The (still) uneasy relationship between fashion & sustainability. Keep the dialogue going.
What’s wrong with fashion’s sustainable strategy
The first time you heard that 85 percent of clothing in the U.S. goes into landfills, you probably responded with…
Luxury fashion is not ready for sustainability
This article was originally published on Luxury Daily.
3. Direct-to-consumer brands are investors’ darlings, but their customer service often sucks. Something to work on 2018.
The dark side of the direct-to-consumer brand experience
This piece first appeared in Lean Luxe, and was expertly edited by M. Paul Munford
4. Luxury continues to mean something completely different than a decade ago but many brands haven’t noticed it yet
Transformation of the jewelry market
It’s been a while since jewelry companies last experienced business as usual. On May 24th, Bloomberg reported that…
Chanel’s show is everything that’s wrong with luxury fashion right now
When I saw Instagram story of Chanel’s rocket being launched into space, many decades after the real rocket was…
What high fashion can learn from street
A lot of people wonder when Vetements’ bubble is going to burst. Arguably, among the plugged-in fashion connoisseurs…
5. Voice interfaces, data and blockchain have gone mainstream
Why data is the future of customization
This article was originally published on August 31st, 2017 at Fashion & Mash
Blockchain and the Internet of Luxury
It’s February 2016, and the Chairman of the Sotheby’s board is angry. Sometime before, as revealed in the Knoedler…
6. Bonus feature: 2017 was the year of the political slogans in fashion